You are in: About Us » History of the Bloomington Corps
The Salvation Army first came to Bloomington, Illinois in November 1886.
In 1923, the building located at 118 W. Washington Street was purchased, and both social services and church activities were held in the building. In1961, The Salvation Army moved to 212 N. Roosevelt Street, with thefood pantry, utility and rent assistance programs operating in one part of the
first floor and a chapel in the other part. The second floor was a gymnasium.
Our Safe Harbor emergency homeless shelter began operating on the 2nd floorof the building in 1991, pulling out cots to sleep at night. In 1995, the property at 611 W. Washington Street was purchased to operate the social service and youthprograms. A chapel was purchased for church services, located acrossthe street from the Community Center. At that time, Safe Harbor took over the entire
212 N. Roosevelt facility.
The Salvation Army Today
The Salvation Army continues to operate the Chapel, The Community Center and The Safe Harbor Shelter all centered around the 611 West Washington location. The 212 N. Roosevelt facility has been sold and The Salvation Army has acquired two nearby houses that will serve as Transition Housing and accomodations for familes.