The cadets did sacrifice, however, in other ways. The most vivid sacrifice Senior/Major Kelley reported was that their Training Principle, Brigadier George Davis, was gone from campus for most of his time at the Training College to raise funds for The Salvation Army " War Chest." (This fund was used to further the work in France as well as in the United Sates.) To the average person, this perhaps seems like not sacrifice at all, but to cadets, firm and strong leadership is highly valued, and is missed when absent.
Sometime during the years 1918-1920, it was decided to go to a single campus facility, where both the men and women would be trained together. In reading through the Chicago Property Board Minutes, the only recorded property considered in detail for this merger was the Joseph Tilt family mansion located at 700 West Brompton Place. (See Appendix Two.) The proposed property consisted of : four acres of land valued at $100,00.00, the main house (108.6 feet long and 56 feet wide) valued at $ 180,000.00, out buildings (consisting of a combined greenhouse and conservatory, and a combined garage and heating plant) valued together at $90,000.00. Surrounding the whole property stood a brick wall valued at $390,000.00. However, the proposed purchase price for the property was listed at only $250,000.00. An article about the Training College in the magazine Today, lists the purchase price of this property at $300,000.00. The article then goes on to record that the Tilt family refunded $50,000.00 of the purchase price as a charitable gift to The Salvation Army. Whatever the agreement, this property was purchased by The Salvation Army, and it became the location for the training of cadets.
Before the first session of cadets arrived at the new location, there was a short period of redecoration and transformation of the property from a residence to a school. According to findings in the Property Board Minutes, small alterations in the buildings continued for several months after the first session had begun. No major alterations, however, were made to the property at this time.
In speaking with several officers, the move to the new location was conducted without a whole lot of pomp or ceremony. Lt. Colonel Alfred Chander is listed as the Principal of the School during the move, and his appointment continued there until August of 1924. ( The Commissioner of the Territory during this time was Commissioner William Peart.) The first session of cadets attending the 700 Brompton location was the "Great Call" session of 114 cadets. One will be quick to realize that the new location did prove to be useful in increasing the available number of new officers for the field each year.
Even though this new sited had its advantages, it was only a year later that the transient nature of the School again became apparent. The Property Board Minutes for April 5, 1923, records a proposal to buy property located at 2716-2738 West Washington Boulevard. The property was being used at that time as an Episcopal Theological Seminary. The property consisted of: three buildings housing dorms, class and study rooms, libraries, dining rooms, kitchens, etc. Also, there were six modern residences having between five and seven rooms each. The purchase price for the property was listed at 125,00.00.