Perhaps the largest responsibility of the male cadets of this era was holding Open Air meetings. One of the men's garrisons located at Chicago 23, led the way in Open Air meetings, as the War Cry reported they held twenty-eight Open Airs in one week alone! The purpose behind the thrust in Open Air evangelism seemed to be two-fold- to give cadets an exposure to public ministry, and to invite the people on the streets into the Corps Hall for an evening evangelistic meeting. Another interesting side-light on these Open Air meetings is that they were one means of supporting the garrison financially, as from five to ten dollars was collected at each street meeting.
Female cadets were in charge of most of the War Cry sales. Each week, the female cadets went either alone, or in pairs, to visit the many taverns in the heart of the city. Many interesting and exciting stories are recorded from this time about the War Cry sales. Some stories were even carried into the local papers. (See Appendix One) This gave The Salvation Army some bad publicity, and aroused some negative feelings toward the female cadets, but this did not hinder the War Cry sales effort. The purpose of this activity was both financial, and for developing an officer with courage and backbone who could stand up to a career of possible harassment and abuse. Also, many testimonies are recorded of men and women who were converted as the result of the work of the cadets in the taverns. (Thank God that The Salvation Army did not back down to public pressure. )
As mentioned previously, the early Garrison was very transient in nature. The last recorded Garrison before the present location of 700 Brompton, was a two part "campus" consisting of a location for men at 1230 West Adams Street, and another campus for women at 116 Ashland Boulevard. In reality, each "campus," consisted of only one building. The Adam's Street location was an old three-story residence . The Ashland Boulevard location contained a two-story residence and a coach house where classes were held. From records, these locations were used only from 1908 to 1919.
This campus arrangement was convenient, as the male cadets marched the few blocks separating the garrisons on four mornings a week for combined classroom instruction with the women. Also, on some special occasions or for "Spiritual Days," the cadet bodies were combined. But, as in all years past, the garrisons were separate entities, and the sexes were not permitted to mix while undergoing the training process. There was also no provision for housing married cadets under this system.
In two interviews with Senior/Major William Kelley, some information was gained about the last years in the Adams/ Ashland campuses. The Senior/Major attended the Training College (as it was then known) from January to July, 1918. This of course, was during the time of our involvement in World War 1. He reports that the session was of average size for that era, and consisted of twelve men and eighteen women.
Although The Salvation Army as a whole was very involved in the War Effort, the cadets helped very little. The only real fund raising effort the male cadets gave was a one day sale of Liberty Bonds, a special type of United States Savings Bond, outside the Chicago Board of Trade Building.