You are in: Your Help » Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Opportunities at the Harbor Light
There are many ways in which individuals, families, and groups can volunteer to help serve at The Salvation Army Harbor Light.
Here are some ideas from what others have done to give you some ideas
With Residential Clients and Families:
- Orchestrate a makeover / skin care event for the women in the program in recognition of Mother's Day. The Harbor Light offers a special Mother's Day banquet for the women in treatment as well as the women living in the homeless shelter each year.
- - Teach a class on whatever your specialty is - do you sew, are you great at resume writing
- - Prepare and serve a special meal to persons living in the shelter
- - Execute a NEW clothing drive for men, women, teens, and children living in the shelter with usable clothing - especially men's clothing, and especially pajamas and undergarments for all.
Within the Community:
- - Volunteer to serve food from the Bed and Bread truck. The Bed and Bread trucks travel throughout the city and serve the hungry and homeless a nutritious meal every day (365 days) of the year.
- - Organizations, volunteer groups and local businesses and corporations can sponsor the Bed and Bread truck, complete with the company's logo for a day, a week, a month or a year for a predetermined sponsorship fee: volunteer groups can work together to raise the funds and sponsor the truck.
- - Work to recruit partners willing to help us assist persons in need (i.e. introduce us to your connections)
- Volunteer to tutor homeless children in basic reading, writing, and math
- Volunteer to chaperone a field trip with summer day camp
The Harbor Light Facilities:
- - Volunteer to coordinate a garden for the Harbor Light, plant and /or vegetable gardens
- - Volunteer to help decorate the facilities and keep them beautiful: are you a painter, muralist, interior designer, tailor, carpenter etc, use your skills here.
- - Offer to use any other special skills you may have to assist the persons in the shelter, the treatment program or the overall operations of the Harbor Light System
- Apply to complete an internship in Marketing, HR, Early Education, or Social Work
The Harbor Light System has special annual events for which we could use a variety of assistance from volunteers:
- - Mother's Day Banquet (see above)
- - Summer Day Camp
- - After School Program
- - Senior Christmas Dinner
- - Thanksgiving Day
- - Christmas Day
The Salvation Army Bed and Bread trucks travel throughout the city of Detroit to feed the homeless - they are in continous need for volunteers. Indiviudals or groups of individuals over the age of 16 call Ms. Hatcher at 313.361.6136 to volunteer.
Supporting the trucks are men and women who make the meals served from the Bed and Bread, to arrange to assit in making sandwiches or packing snacks for the meal service, please contact Chef Gary at 313 361.6136
For all other corporate or event-based volunteer orpportunities call Mrs. Sanders at 313.361.6136
You can also register online to become an ongoing volunteer with The Salvation Army of Metro Detroit by clicking here...