THE SALVATION ARMY MAPLEWOOD HISTORY
The Salvation Army Maplewood operated as an outpost for ten months with meetings originating in a large tent on Lanham Avenue near the present site of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Building.
The Army moved in late 1939 to an old church at 2637 Lyle Avenue where it officially opened as a Corps in May 1940 by Captain Nora Walker. During the winter of 1940 the building with all it's contents was completely destroyed by a fire.
Following the fire, a vacant tavern at 3534 Greenwood became a temporary location for Corps activities under the direction of Lt. Roy Morden and Lt. Wilson Hogan.
A short time later, the purchase of a basement building on the corner of Rannells and Bredell (which housed a Nazarene congregation) was secured which is the present location. After this acquistion, Major and Mrs. Henri Servais, Captain and Mrs. Rodney B. Sharp, Captain and Mrs. W. E. Graham, Lt. Fred Wessel and Captain and Mrs. Frank Smith served as the Maplewood Corps Officers.
During the command of Captain and Mrs. Smith the Chapel was added as the Corps outgrew the limited facilities in which it has been worshipping and working. Lt. & Mrs. Charles Shoults followed by Captain and Mrs. L. E. Greer continued the work and youth groups began to flourish with Sunbeams, Girl Guards, Boys Scouts and a Band.
Major and Mrs. Preston D. Keifer and Captain and Mrs. Paul Fleeman followed the pattern of their predecessors and continued to build upon the fondations previously laid. The Ladies Home League grew, a Cub Pack was organized and without a gym, young people's athletic groups were formed. Work among youth expanded under the leadership of Captain and Mrs. Clarence Harvey.
Under the command of Captain and Mrs. Donald Lovejoy, construction began on the addition of the gymnasium complex. In June 1968 Lt. & Mrs. Richard Wood assumed the responsibility of the Maplewood Corps and on March 2, 1969 the Community Center was dedicated.
Under the command of Captain and Mrs. Dallas Raby plans were started for the remodeling of the Chapel. Under the command of Major and Mrs. William Sypker remodeling was started in December 1986 and completed in April 1987. In 1988 a capital campaign was started to expand the parking area and to enlarge the present building.
Under the command of Captains Norman and Claire Grainger plans were started for the addition of an elevator which would be added to the back of the building. In June of 2004 under the command of Majors Randall and Susan Summit the ribbon was cut opening the new elevator addition for use.