You are in: 'Doughnut lassie' original doughnut recipe
Salvation Army 'doughut lassie' doughnut recipe
5 C flour
2 C sugar
5 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 C milk
4 lbs. lard
Yields 4 dozen doughnuts
- Combine all ingredients (except for lard) to make dough.
- Thoroughly knead dough, roll smooth, and cut into rings that are less than 1/4 inch thick. (When finding items to cut out doughnut circles, be creative! Salvation Army doughnut girls used whatever they could find, from baking powder cans to coffee percolator tubes.)
- Drop the rings into the lard, making sure the fat is hot enough to brown the doughnuts gradually. Turn the doughnuts slowly several times.
- When browned, remove doughnuts and allow excess fat to drip off.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Let cool and then enjoy!