Position: Public Relations & Special Events Internship
Reports to: Community Relations Director
Description: The Salvation Army is seeking a Public Relations & Special Events Intern to assist during the 2013 Tree of Lights Christmas Campaign. The intern will primarily be needed from October through December to assist with community outreach events, media relations, special events, volunteer coordination and other tasks as needed.
- Provide assistance with planning Tree of Lights campaign activities & events
- Assist with media relations - prepare press kits, take and post photographs & videos, write articles, gather information, etc.
- Help maintain the organization's website and social media pages
- Help coordinate volunteers and volunteer events
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed - filing, copying, bulk mailings, telephone reception, etc.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Basic computer skills (i.e Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher)
- Strong writing and copy editing skills
- Basic photography skills
- Reliable transportation is necessary as events and activities take place throughout the greater Springfield area
- Previous experience with event coordination would be beneficial, but is not required.
Internship Experience Highlights:
- Hands-on public relations experience
- Special event planning & management
- Learn effective media relations strategies
- Mass volunteer coordination and recruitment
- Thorough understanding of nonprofit administration & fundraising
- Approximately 10-15 hours per week; weekend availability is a must. Schedule can be flexible, depending on the needs of the organization & applicant.
- Tree of Lights Christmas Campaign: This annual campaign raises much needed funding and awareness for The Salvation Army. The funds, resources and donations received during this campaign help The Salvation Army provide vital local programs and services throughout the entire year to residents in Greene, Christian, Taney & Stone counties.
To apply please send a resume and letter of interest that outlines experience/skills as soon as possible. Additional materials such as writing samples, relevant work samples and links to online materials may also be submitted for consideration.
Audrey Esther - Community Relations Director
The Salvation Army
1707 W. Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 862-5509 ext. 116
About Us: The Salvation Army is an international church founded in London, England in 1865 by William Booth. Our mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination. Programs in the greater Springfield area include: shelters for the homeless; transitional housing for low-income individuals; food pantries and feeding programs; emergency disaster services; financial assistance for families who need help with rent, utilities, food and clothing; & activities for youth and seniors.