You are in: News » Construction Updates
Ground breaking ceremonies took place April 29, 2011. Pictured from left to right are corps member Lillian Phillips, Major Kim Hellstrom, Corps Sgt. Major Wilma Line, General Contractor Steve Schmitt, Mayor Bob Ryan, Campaign Co-chair Jan Homiston, Campaign Co-chair Richard Bemis, Major Alan Hellstrom, Architect Geoff Bray, Social Service Director Joe Rupnik, Advisory Board Chair Ed Surek and corps member Cheryl Frazier.
Construction Updates will be listed here to help staff, clients and volunteers access our services during our construction and renovation phases.
AS OF MONDAY, 4/16/12
- flooring for new pantry and elevator hallways should be finished by Friday, 4/20
- elevator should be available by Wed. 4/18
- floor waxing should be taking place this weekend in chapel hall, elevator hall, and pantry
- south entry work should be finished week of 4/23
- landscaping begins on Wed. 4/18
- dumpster gate and fencing in by Fri. 4/20
- setting up the pantry will begin week of 4/30 depending on volunteer crews, etc.
- punchlist of old building Wed. 4/25
- exterior effis repair work to begin Mon. 4/23
- site clean up and completion 5/1/12
- asphalt top coat, striping and patching TBD
AS OF MONDAY, 4/2/12
- West parking lot will be closed until after Easter.
- Sidewalks and west parking lot will be paved April 5/6.
- Food Pantry painting April 3-5
- Ceiling grid & subfloor for pantry starts end of this week.
- Ceiling grid and mechanicals complete by April 13th.
- Pantry tile floor installed by April 19th and waxed with chapel hallway by Friday/Saturday April 20&21.
- Work on canopy at Penn entrance April 16-19th.
- April 23 punchlist of remaining portions of existing building.
- Landscaping,cleanup, and complete all exterior work by April 30th.
AS OF WEDNESDAY, 2/22/12
- drywalling should be finished on 2nd floor by Feb. 25th
- HVAC work ongoing in basement and 2nd floor
- volunteer painting/cleaning crew begins on 2/23/12 headed by Jim Quicker
- attic mechanical work continues
- doors and hardware begin in early March
- flooring (carpet and tile) will go in once painting is finished
- new windows on 2nd fl. begin install on 3/5/12
- furniture delivery should happen on 3/9/12
- final set up on 2nd fl. for administration 3/12/12
AS OF Monday, 1/23/12
- HVAC demolition in attic
- Boiler penetrations through existing building at kitchen and old clinic this week.
- Floor and electrical demolition on 2nd floor begins today.
- Chapel hall and 710 Penn Entry work will be ongoing and coordinated with TSA programs. Chapel hall will be closed and a hard hat area during the day.
- West parking lot and entrance closed for demolition
AS OF Thursday, 12/29/11
Jan. 2&3, 2012 - New lobby is closed to EVERYONE because new flooring is going in.
Jan. 13, 2012 - Moving large furniture into new shelter and Clinic
Jan. 16, 2012 - Martin Luther King Holiday - office closed
Jan. 17, 2012 - Staff moves into new building space - office closed to public. EL residents will spend first night in new lodge.
Jan. 18, 2012 - New building will be open to the public with everyone using the new north entrance. New parking lot will be for clients and volunteers.
Jan. 19, 2012 - Clinic functions in new space and uses new north entrance for the first time.
AS OF Monday, 11/28/11
- Roof detailing is ongoing
- Roof penetrations completed this week
- Window installation completed this week
- Exterior caulking completed this week.
- Interior finishes will follow this schedule: basement, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, lobby
- door frames should be painted this week
- basement painting completed this week
- folding partition in EL installed this week
- door and hardware delivery next week
- PRT tiling should start next week
- porcelain tile starts next week
- chapel carpeting should happen next week
AS OF Tuesday 11/15/11
To be completed this week:
- stoops and curbs
- window installation
- building secured
- spray on insulation
- elevator install
- tie ins to new and old buildings
- drywall installation
- drywall texture and painting beginning
- HW piping in existing building to connect to new building
- coordination of appliance and plumbing delivery
- rough grade for winter (parking lot)
AS OF Tuesday, 11/1/11
-The new parking lot will be cleared and graded next week
-Sidewalks and ramps inside the fence will begin
-New hot water piping will be coordinated with existing building namely clinic, kitchen, pantry & boiler room
-Kohler plumbing donations continue to come in with almost everything here
-Brick work should be finished this week
-Exterior studs and denglass are 99% complete
-Wood panel waterproofing to be complete this week
-Roof detail work completed this week
-Elevator is being installed - will take another week, at least
-Penetrations to new building complete
-Drywall complete in basement and continuing from 1st to 3rd floors
-Spray on insulation should be completed by next week.
AS OF Wednesday, 9/7/11
- Alliant Energy needs to come back for one hour of work to complete everything. We will announce this as soon as we know from Alliant.
- Block work is complete on stairwells and elevator shaft.
- Temporary roof tie-in over chapel hallway should be complete by Friday, Sept. 9th
- Framing and decking should be done by Sept. 9th.
- All floors should be poured by Sept. 16th.
- The stairwells are being delivered and will be dropped in as they arrive.
- The elevator piston should installed by the end of next week.
- The 710 entrance and chapel hall should be open for business by this Saturday, Sept. 10th and should be usable until further notice.
AS OF Monday, 8/22/11
Week of Aug. 22nd
- External brick work will continue with elevator shaft, stairwells and east wall brick completed by the end of this week.
- Structural steel has been delivered and will be installed in stages with completion by Sept. 2nd
- Joist and decking is scheduled for delivery on Thursday, Aug. 25th
- Electrical box and conduit will be installed this week. Basement area around middle stairway and downstairs offices will be off limits at times this week. Please watch for posted signs.
- 1st floor clinic offices, band room and men's bathroom will be cut into for brick walls and eventual steel connections. Please stay out of this area, if possible, until after Labor Day.
- this week building penetrations will start in the room off the boiler room
Week of Aug. 29th
- Existing roof over 1st fl. clinic offices, band room and men's bathroom will be pulled away on Monday, Aug. 29th (weather permitting.) Work will continue in this area all week as steel beams are put in place. No admittance during this time.
- Building penetrations will be made on 1st floor near the clinic offices
- Wednesday, Aug. 31st electrical service transfer - The building is vacated from 7:00 AM until 12:00 noon. (Weather permitting.) The Lodge is evacuated at 7:00 AM and employees don't report to work until 12:00 Noon that day. If there are changes to this plan we will notify staff as soon as possible.
AS OF Monday, 7/25/11
- All basement walls have been poured and have been waterproofed.
- Underground pipe connections and drain tile are being put in place with street connections to be made this week. Both 7th and Penn streets are closed down for the week. Street patching will be done by the end of the week.
- Interior subgrade is 95% complete.
- Backfill of building should be completed this week.
- Basement steel is complete along with spancrete for first floor
- Remainder of steel is scheduled for week of August 8th.
AS OF Monday, 7/11/11
-The oil tank was successfully removed with no soil contamination around the tank.
-A cast iron sanitary line (sewer) was damaged in excavating and needs to be scoped out with a camera and then repiped.
-On Thursday, July 14th a baseboard heating pipe will be removed in a downstairs office to make way for an electrical cabinet to be installed later at that spot.
-Schmitt Construction hopes to have the basement walls poured by the end of this week.
-Basement steel and precast concrete for the first floor should be coming next week.
AS OF Monday, 6/20/11
-The oil tank removal is delaying the north side excavation. However, 60% of the footings are in place.
-Weather permitting, some concrete walls will be poured later this week.
-Electrical service prep work will be done next week on June 30th. This will involve closing off the west entrance for one day with clients, employees and volunteers using the Penn Ave. entrance for that day.
**Note change in building access on June 30, 2011**
AS OF Monday, 6/13/11
-Excavation is 75% complete and the engineers say it looks good with no flooding. We have hit a buried, residential oil tank which will delay digging for a week while the DNR oversees the removal of the tank.
-Work continues on the footings this week in preparation for underground plumbing and eventual concrete pouring.
AS OF Monday, 6/6/11
-Excavation has begun! The parking lot is being scraped, sign posts removed and the hole will be dug very soon.
-People are still trying to come into the construction area even though signs are posted and the east entrance is boarded up. Our contractor will try to keep the gates closed at all times only allowing truck traffic through. PLEASE NOTE - access during office hours is through the west door only.
AS OF Friday, 6/3/11
-The permanent gas line has been put in place with the new meter on Penn Ave.
-The east door is boarded up as of today.
-Excavation starts on Monday, June 6th. There will be a great deal of traffic in and out of the alley due to trucks hauling dirt from our site. (Please be careful whenever you are in the alley area, and try to exit the parking lot by going west, avoiding the construction entrance.)
AS OF Wednesday, 5/18/11
-The east door is now locked and all traffic is directed to the west entrance.
-Disruptions to traffic flow and office location will be forecast as early as possible.
AS OF Wednesday, 5/11/11
-Schmitt Construction will be erecting a fence around the construction area on Thursday, May 12th. They should be finished in one day.
-Some materials will be delivered to the worksite on Friday, May 13th.
-The east door will remain accessible until Monday, May 16th. (There will be an opening in the fencing off Penn Ave. allowing people to use the east door during this weekend.) On May 16th, the east door will be boarded up and all traffic into the building will be routed to the west ramp door.
AS OF Monday, 5/9/11
-The east entrance [main door to office] will be blocked off permanently on Wednesday, May 11, 2011. All other entrances will remain unblocked for now. Clients can access the building through the west door which was formally only used by staff.
-Fire drills and similar emergency drills will now assemble North West of the building at the covered entrance of the hotel.
-The east parking lot will be fenced off by the contractor by May 16, 2011.
AS OF Monday, 4/25/11
-Staff parking will be relocated to the East row of the hotel lot with permission from KCU.
-Volunteers can park in our West lot or in the lot on the East side of 7th Street with permission from Sheboygan County. The 8 spots from Pennsylvania and heading North facing The Salvation Army are the ones available for use.
-Clients may park in our West lot - formerly reserved staff parking.
See Document Below for a visual explanation of these details.
PLEASE NOTE - If you Park in the Reserved City Lot West of our building or in the hotel lot, you risk getting a ticket and possibly towed! Metered parking is available on 7th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.
Watch this site for the latest updates on parking and building access.
Ground Breaking - Our ground breaking ceremonies will take place on Friday, April 29, 2011. The parking lot on the east side of the building will be closed to parking starting the afternoon of Wednesday, April 27, 2011. Staff assigned parking and client parking will be relocated.